The first step in becoming a nurse isn't what you might think. First and foremost before you make
a commitment to become a nurse you need to make sure it's the right path for you. Below is a list
of some things you should consider when thinking of becoming a nurse.
- Long Hours - Are you able to handle a job which requires you to work from 10-24 hours in a day?
- Working Nights, Weekends, and Holidays - Are you ok with having to work on Christmas and Thanksgiving?
- High Pressure Situations - How do you deal with pressure and stress of an emergency situation?
- Physically Demanding - Are you able to stand on your feet for 10-24 hours turning over 400 pound patients?
- Highly Competitive - Even though nurses are in high demand, it is still an extremely competitive field with individual jockeying to get that next promotion.
- Emotionally Draining - People don't come to hospitals because they want to. They are often in very poor health, and you will need to be able to deal with these emotionally draining situations.